I have tried so many times in the past to make flower polymer clay canes but with little to no success. The idea is to make a long sausage of clay with a pattern running down the length of it which you can cut slices off and use as you wish.
A month or so ago I felt a renewed confidence and decided I wasn’t going to be beaten by the clay. My first attempt I realised that I was using too little clay as I was afraid of wasting it but working on such a small scale meant that there wasn’t enough clay for me to handle comfortably and put as much detail in as I liked.
So I started again.
Not the best photo but here is the first successful cane coming together. The white clay was a white pearl that became silvery when baked.
Once I had started I had to keep going. My son insisted on stars and rather a lot of them.
The yellow clay was a translucent yellow so when cured looks a little glass like. I made these two into brooches. I’m looking forward to sitting down and using these again. I’m seeing little star beads maybe some cute stitch markers (I made my sister some lovely clay heart ones years ago with a similar technique).
Once little boy was in bed I had another go at flowers. I felt a little braver now so the colours got bolder and the pattern more intricate.
The yellow in this flower cane has glitter running through it so there is a lovely sparkle.
Feeling really bold now so I mixed both flower canes to see what that would look like.
Oh my, I had so much fun with these and I still have lots of the canes to play with. Just looking at these photos makes me want to get all my clay back out.
I may have tried one or two other techniques whilst I was at it but I think I’ll keep those for another day.